Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Tomato pickle

Jacob is a big fan of pickle. He could even eat it plain. Whenever we are out grocery shopping he would always pull out a pickle and place it in the cart and I would be the one to place it back saying I would make it at home. The amount of oil, salt and preservatives that goes into it are the very reason for me to put them back. But I had been delaying the pickling process for a while now. 







Finally the other day I got hold of some perfectly ripe tomatoes that I grabbed them to make this pickle at home. It's usually the first step which is being procrastinated by me. So once that was overcomed by purchasing the ingredients I made it the very next day.








I remember my mother making it and me finishing it with anything and everything possible. Dosa, chapathis, rice etc. I used to love it. But it was my first time making it and it just turned exactly the same as my mother used to make. I was so happy. And I don't see it lasting for a while in our pantry with two pickle obsessed people at home. Anyways, this is how I made it. I wish you try it. They are just amazing. 



Ingredients
  1. 8 medium sized and ripe tomatoes, cut in small cubes or thinly sliced
  2. 1 1/2 tsp of tamarind 
  3. 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds
  4. 1 tbsp of Kashmiri chilly powder 
  5. Salt to taste
  6. 1 sprig of curry leaves
  7. 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
  8. A pinch of asafoetida 
  9. 2 tbsp of sesame seed oil
Method

  • In a thick bottom pan, take the tomatoes. Place it on medium heat and cook it covered untill the tomatoes soften , turns mushy and loose its moisture. It could take about 15 minutes. Give it a stir at times to help them cook evenly.
  • Meanwhile, in pan take about 1/2 cup of water and tamarind. Boil it and keep it aside. Once cool, squeeze out the tamarind pulp and discard the rest. 
  • Roast the fenugreek seeds in a pan, on medium flame. Powder it by running it in a blender jar. Keep it aside. 
  • By now the tomatoes would have reduced and lost their moisture. To it add the tamarind pulp, fenugreek powder, kashmiri chilly powder and salt. Give it a mix. Let it cook to again reduce and leave the extra moisture from the tamarind pulp. 
  • Meanwhile, in a pan, heat the oil. Once hot, add the mustard seeds and let it pop. Then add the curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry it. Add this tempering to the tomato mix. Stir it well. Let it cook for another 5 minutes, while you stir it occasionally to avoid burning and sticking on to the surface of the pan. 
  • Turn off the heat and wait for it to cool down. Transfer it into a glass jar. You could keep it outside for couple of days and then refrigerate it for longer use.
Tips
  1. The tomatoes should loose its moisture completely to prevent any fungal attacks.

14 comments:

  1. tomato pickle looks so yummy.nice clicks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouthwatering pickle. LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome pickle... never tasted tomato pickle... will try it... how long can we store if refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never stored it for long...it usually gets used up in a month or twos time.... I guess if stored properly and served with a dry spoon everytime, would let it stay good for atleast 6 months

      Delete
  4. Looks perfect. love the first click amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. love tomato pickle...looks mouthwatering

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy and tempting.. Will try this for sure and will let you know

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shots and the tomato pickle equally! I wish to have a bowl of steaming rice or a crispy ghee roasted dosa with the side of this pickle :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its that Andhra special tomato pickle is it? I have heard so much about it and would love to try it. My husband is a big fan of tomato pickle since there are no pieces and loves to feed on the masala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't know if it Andhra style pickle...My mom used to make just one pickle out of tomato and this is that pickle...:)

      Delete

Thank you for paying us a visit :). If you happen to have tried any of the recipes posted here, please do leave a comment that could serve as a review for other fellow visitors of Palaharam.

Also, do feel free to send in your suggestions that could help us improve and serve you better using the 'Contact Us' form.

Blogging tips