Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Vettu Cake / Fried Cakes

This is one not so often made snack at my home. But I have had it from my mom's friends place who makes it often. Infact, my mom learnt to make it from her. I used to love these then and now too. 







During my last visit to Kerala, I noticed that the tea shop near our house carried these. They looked pretty placed in the glass cupboards. I was double minded about getting it though. That tea shop doesn't have too many customers in a day and I just didn't want to get something made days back. So every other day when I would pass by that tea shop I used to crave for them looking at it. After a couple of days I realized, the stack remained the same - neither grew or reduce in size , nor did it change its pattern of arrangement. They indeed were never in demand at that shop. My craving then took a change.





I started craving to make it at home and have it rather than from the tea shops. So as soon as we were back from the vacation and settled down, I made it and felt so good to have relived those memories of my childhood of having these fried cakes . Here is how I made it. Make it for your loved ones and enjoy it over a cup of tea or coffee. 


Ingredients

  1. 1 cup of all purpose flour + some more to help make the dough non sticky
  2. 1 large egg
  3. 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
  4. 1/4 tsp of baking soda
  5. 1-2 cardamom, crushed or powdered 
  6. Oil for deep frying 
Method
  • In a bowl, take the egg and the powdered sugar and beat it untill combined.
  • Add all purpose flour, baking soda and powdered cardamom. Knead it all together into a dough. Use more flour if required to make a soft and non sticky dough. Leave it aside for 10-15 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into two equal parts. Shape each parts of dough into a rectangular dough with about 1 inch breadth.
  • Cut the log into cubes of 1 inch size. Make small cuts on the sides of the cubes. Keep it aside
  • Heat the oil for frying. Once hot , turn down the heat to medium. Fry the vettu cakes untill they turn golden brown.
  • Drain it onto a plate lined with paper towels. Let it cool completely before you store them in air tight containers. It would stay good for about a week.
Tips
  1. Make sure you fry the vettu cakes on medium heat to ensure that they get cooked in their inside too. At the same time, don't fry them for too long else they turn very hard to bite through.



Recipe Courtesy : Swapna Chechi

5 comments:

  1. vettu cake looks so cripsy:)perfect with a cup of chai

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love this snack, but scared to eat from chaya kadas.. bookmarking and am gonna try this soon :):) as usual, stunning pics Anupa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love vettu cakes... this time when umma comes I have to let her make some for us... she adds a little rava too to the mixture... I am totally in love with the beautiful color that you have got...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very addictive snack and one of my childhood favorite... You have made it perfectly well...I too made it two weeks back, will be posting it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for paying us a visit :). If you happen to have tried any of the recipes posted here, please do leave a comment that could serve as a review for other fellow visitors of Palaharam.

Also, do feel free to send in your suggestions that could help us improve and serve you better using the 'Contact Us' form.

Blogging tips