Thursday, September 28, 2017

Steamed Beetroot Cake

Today marks the 5th Anniversary of my dear blog, Palaharam. I never imagined it to be coming this far. But now I guess, it is a part of my life - something that would define me and keep me occupied by doing something that I love. This is not just the celebration of having started the blog but also the celebration of having made some good friends over the span of these last 5 years, whom I have not even met in person. I thought I should make something sweet to mark this milestone and nothing better than this beetroot steamed cake to make this moment absolutely perfect. A BIG thank you to all my supporters for always being there to motivate me, to blog. No words can suffice my gratitude towards each one of you.









It was only recently that I started to fall for Beetroot. Since then, it has been appearing in my kitchen often, either in a savory or sweet form. This beetroot cake was made as a tea time snack one day and it was so much in demand that we have repeated it couple of times. They are amazing in taste and healthy too.



Try this cake at your home and let me know if it was liked by your family too.







Ingredients
  1. 3/4 cup of beetroot, grated and excess water squeezed out
  2. 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
  3. 1/2 cup of sugar 
  4. 1 egg
  5. 2 tbsp of cooking oil
  6. 3/4 tsp of baking powder
  7. 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  8. 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
  9. 3/4 cup of milk
  10. 1/2 cup of chopped almonds
  11. Butter to grease the molds
Method
  • In a bowl, take egg, sugar and oil. Beat it well. To it add the grated beetroot and cocoa powder. Mix it well. Add the milk and beat it well.
  • Sift the whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add them little by little to the wet ingredients while you mix them together. Finally add the almonds and fold it into the batter. 
  • Prepare a steamer. Grease the pan or cupcake moulds with butter. Pour in the batter about 3/4 full of the moulds. Place it in steamer. Steam cook it for about 15-20 minutes or untill a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
  • Remove the moulds from the steamer and let it cool a bit. Run a knife around the sides of the mould to help the cake slide out of the moulds when inverted. Serve it warm.
Tips
  1. You could replace the whole wheat flour with all purpose flour. 
  2. Make sure to squeeze out excess water from the beetroot.








9 comments:

  1. Congratulations Anupa. 👍👍👍Wow I liked the idea with beetroot n whole wheat
    Will definitely try
    Have u tried baking it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ritu :).. I have always thought of trying the baked version but for some reason I have been delaying it. Shall definitely let you know if I do it.

      Delete
  2. love those cute little moulds ,perfect for steamed cakes..delicious cupcakes for the celebration dear, Congratulations.. Keep up the good work,looking forward to more yummy recipes !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the masala dabba parts that I have used for steaming it :D

      Delete
  3. 5 years! Congratulations dear... always love your posts and look forward to it... I love baking with beetroot, love how moist it makes the bakes... I am eyeing your moulds you have used to steam your cute little cakes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy five years, Palaharam! Congratulations Anupa. You have done very well with it. And yes, you are right, there are so many people you meet along the way, that really you never want to give up this wonderful experience. That aside, beetroot muffins- you are creative. I suppose the beets would the form very moist. Will bookmark this. Pictures, as always, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for paying us a visit :). If you happen to have tried any of the recipes posted here, please do leave a comment that could serve as a review for other fellow visitors of Palaharam.

Also, do feel free to send in your suggestions that could help us improve and serve you better using the 'Contact Us' form.

Blogging tips