Saturday, December 12, 2020

Bebinca

With Christmas around the corner, I am sure most of you might be baking a lot of goodies for your family. With the covid-19 and lockdown here, we have been indulging in a lot of cooking experiments. It just doesn't see the light of the blog. Well the reason is pure laziness which I try to cover up by blaming on the technical glitches - instagram which doesn't let me post the links, image hosting sites changing their storage policies frequently etc.  Anyways, I am trying to make sure, that I post atleast one post per week this christmas season. I thought the comeback should be done with a special bake of the festive season - Bebinca. It is an Indo Portugese desert which is very popular esp. during the christmas season in Goa. This melt in the mouth pudding does require some effort, but all the effort seems to be worth it when you happen to taste it. So yum !


Without waiting another minute, lets move on to the recipe. I came across this  recipe when a fellow blogger had published it during my initials days of blogging. The very look of it made me tempt, because I had been looking out for the name of this dessert which I had, when I was a kid, and my tastebuds seemed to have recollected it from the memories. Without wasting any time, I tried the recipe. As usual, when a recipe is a success, I do note down the recipe, for future reference. Now when I look her up, I am unable to locate the blog. Well this is exactly what happens, when we stay disconnected with the blogging world. I hope that if you are reading this post, let me know so that I can link back to your blog. 




Ingredients
  1. 1/2 cup of Caramel (Please visit the link for the caramel recipe)
  2. 1 cup coconut milk
  3. 6 egg yolks
  4. 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
  5. 1 cup of sugar
  6. 1/2 tsp of nutmeg powder
  7. A pinch of salt optional
  8. 1/2 tbsp or more  ghee for layering
Method
  • Preheat the oven @ 355 F
  • Grease the baking pan in which you intent to bake the bebinca, generously with some ghee, and set is aside.
  • In a bowl, take the sugar and the egg yolks. Beat it well untill it gets incorporated. To this mixture add the coconut milk and beat it well.
  • Next, add the all purpose flour , little by little, while you mix in and have all the ingredients spread evenly to form a batter.
  • Add  nutmeg and salt and give it a good mix.
  • Divide the mix into two bowl in equal parts. To one of the bowl, add the caramel and mix it well. Now, we will have one bowl of plain batter and another bowl of brown coloured batter.
  • Pour a laddle of plain batter and spread it at the bottom of the pan. Bake it in the oven for about 12 minutes.
  • Take the baking pan out. Brush the top of the cooked layer, with ghee. Pour in a laddle of the brown batter to form a layer on top of the already baked, white batter. Place it back in the oven and bake it for another 12 minutes. 
  • Continue to repeat the same, pouring the white and brown batter alternatively and baking it for 12 minutes, untill you run out of both the batter. 
  • Once cooked, remove it from the oven. Let it cool completely.
  • Slice and enjoy this melt in the mouth pudding, that your tastebuds will remember for the rest of your lives.
Tips
  1. Consistency is the key to obtaining a perfect bebinca. It definitely requires a dedicated time towards it preparation, as you need to keep a watch on pouring in layers of batter in equal intervals to create the layers of bebinca.
  2. Make sure not to skip the greasing of the layers. It helps create the different layers of the bebinca and also makes it melt in the mouth good.
  3. Making it in a loaf pan helps create more layers. I made it in a round pan, which required me to pour in more batter for each layer, to spread the entire diameter of the pan. And hence ran out of batter soon and was left with just 4 layers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for paying us a visit :). If you happen to have tried any of the recipes posted here, please do leave a comment that could serve as a review for other fellow visitors of Palaharam.

Also, do feel free to send in your suggestions that could help us improve and serve you better using the 'Contact Us' form.

Blogging tips